Either you love it or you hate it. I love it. And this makes one big *ss pie, let me tell you. It weighs about five pounds it seems.
5 1/3 cup milk
1 1/3 cup sugar
½ cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
2 cups sweetened coconut – shredded
1 2.6 oz box of Dream While topping mix
Baked pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pie crust and place in 9” pan. Place pie weights or dried beans on aluminum foil and place in center of pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and weights, prick bottom with a fork and bake another 10 minutes until brown.
2. Filling: Bring 4 1/3 cups milk to a boil in a medium pot over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, eggs and salt in a large bowl. Drizzle hot milk into egg mixture while whisking constantly, Return mixture to pot and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until very thick, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 ½ cups coconut. Transfer coconut custard to a large bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap, and let cool to room temperature.
3. Place custard in the baked pie shell.
4. Topping: place topping mix (both envelopes) and 1 cup milk into a large bowl and beat to stiff peaks. Transfer topping to cover the pie filling.
5. Toast remaining ½ cup coconut in either a frying pan or in a 450 degree oven for a few minutes until brown – make sure coconut does not burn. Sprinkle over the top of the pie.