Tuesday, November 13, 2007
This is probably my favorite of all pies. Being so close to Michigan and sour cherries, it is nice to make this when cherries are in season. Remember that this recipe uses canned sour cherries - you can buy them in the canned fruit section of your supermarket.
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
2 cans red tart cherries (14.5 oz each)
1 tbsp butter
2 crusts for a 9-inch pie
1 egg, well beaten
1 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Drain the cherries and reserve the juice from only one can.
3. In a saucepan stir the cherry juice into the combined mixture of sugar and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
4. Remove from heat. Gently stir in cherries.
5. Pour filling into the pastry lined pan. Dot with butter.
6. Adjust top crust, seal and vent. Beat together the egg and 1 tbsp water to make an egg wash. Brush top crust with egg wash.
7. Bake 30-40 minutes or until crust browns and filling begins to bubble. If necessary cover edges with aluminum foil during last 15 minutes.