Friday, November 30, 2007

Better Butter Cookies

I haven't made these in years but I think I am going to try them and see if they live up to my memories. This was Mom's secret recipe, guarded fiercely. My only disappointment was that we used margarine when I was growing up. I wouldn't think of doing so today but I knew back then that we didn't have enough money to afford butter.

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.

2. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in egg and then vanilla. Add flour mixture; combine on low speed.

3. Divide dough in thirds; wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.

4. On a floured work surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.

5. Heat oven to 425°.

6. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes.

7. Bake until crisp but not darkened, 7 minutes. Let cookies cool on wire racks, then decorate as desired.

Note: I use Royal Icing to decorate these but instead of lemon I add milk or water. I guess the booze of your choice would work just as well too. Atta girl!

Photo: Glazed Butter Cookies by Nicole Lee on Flickr