Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Cookies - 2007

It was Christmas Cookiepalooza at my house yesterday. From 10:00 am until 8:00 pm was a day filled with rolling and cutting gingerbread, welsh cookies, sugar cookies and butter cookies; slicing logs of lime meltaways; rolling peanut blossom and thumprint cookie dough into 1" round balls; and then baking them all.

35 Peanut Blossoms
40 Thumbprint Cookies
150 Welsh Cookies
200 Lime Meltaways
37 Butter Cookies - Stars and Moons
29 large (6" across) Sugar Cookies - Snowflakes
57 large (6" long) Gingerbread Cookies - Christmas Trees

Take a look at the finish products below. Now all I need to do is wait for them to dry overnight and bag them up!









3 comments:

Doug said...

WOW! It's a wonder I couldn't smell them out here in the suburbs! You are beyond insane with the holiday baking! I am so impressed and so jealous!

Have a great holiday!

Doug

Thomas MacEntee said...

Thanks Doug

My partner Fang walked in from a weekend in SF and said "I knew it. You've been smoking crack with the Pillsbury Doughboy and shooting up with those Keebler Elves again!"

David said...

Thomas - Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe for Welsh Cookies. I grew up in Upstate NY(Rochester)and know all to well how delicous these cookies can be and yet know one outside ones family has ever heard of them. My mother always made Welsh Cookies on St David's Day or when she felt a bit homesick for the family moved away from in Scranton Pa at 19yo. The recipe was passed on from my Welsh GreatGrandmother, to Grandma, and to mom who then made sure all her children would pass the tradition on down to the following generations and so on. My grandmother though went a bit further and gathered a group of women from her local church yearly. They grilled thousands of cookies on St David's and sold them by the stacked dozen for charity. Hopefully that tradition has continued after my grandmothers passing. Maybe it got passed onto your mother from mine or my grandmothers charitable work. Thanks for bringing back a bit of my mom back, glistening of tears both sorrowful at her passing and joyful for having such unconditional love.

David