Friday, November 23, 2007

Turkey Stock

I have recovered the carcass from yesterday's turkey feast at my brother and sister-in-law's house so I will be making turkey stock today. We ate like dingos in a maternity ward!

If you've ever made stock before, you know there are a variety of ways to do it - with aromatic vegetables (celery, onions, carrots) or without; with salt or without; condensed or uncondensed.

My method is to use my 13 qt Le Creuset stockpot, no vegetables, no salt. I don't add salt because I never know what the stock will be used for and that recipe may have other ingredients high in salt, etc.

And I make a very rich condensed broth that I refrigerate overnight in order to skim off the fat. If the broth is too rich, I can always add more water to it later when I use it.

Then it goes into 1 gallon freezer bags and into the freezer!