Sunday, October 21, 2007

Marinated Grilled Boneless Leg of Lamb

I stumbled upon this recipe several years ago - it was called "Leg of Lamb for a Crowd." They key is to marinate the butterflied (boneless) leg of lamb in a non-reactive (non-metal) bowl overnight. The best way to prepare this dish is to grill it and serve with grilled vegetables. This has been our traditional Easter dish for several years now and the marinade works well with boneless pork roast as well. This was also one of my mother's favorite dishes and she'd have me make this when I flew in from California.

I also remember one time when I made this back home and I couldn't find a leg of lamb that wasn't butterflied (basically removing the bone). So I figured I could do it myself! Well after I cut a finger pretty badly and passed out on the kitchen floor, I vowed never again to butterfly lamb myself. That's what butchers are for!

Ingredients:

1 large boneless leg of lamb (6 lbs), and outer fat removed
1 cup olive oil
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 bunch fresh tarragon, chopped (3-4 tbsp total)
10 cloves garlic, chopped
Vegetables for roasting/grilling (peppers, onions, portabello mushrooms, tomatoes)
4 tbsp butter

Instructions:

1. Combine oils, spices, lemon juice, tarragon and garlic in a non-reactive (glass or plastic) bowl.

2. Place lamb in bowl and coat with the marinade. Wrap with plastic wrap (not metallic) and place in refrigerator overnight. Turn at least once.

3. When ready to grill, remove lamb and drain on a rack to let marinade drain off.

4. While lamb is draining, grill whole vegetables and then remove skins which may be black. Place vegetables on serving platter and keep warm in the oven.

5. Place lamb on grill - it may produce flames due to oil content of marinade - grill for approximately 15 to 20 minutes per side - you may want to turn often, after 5 minutes per side.

6. In small saucepan, melt butter with about 3 tbsp of remaining marinade. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Pour over vegetables.

7. Carve thin slices and serve on platter with roasted or grilled vegetables.