Wednesday, October 24, 2007
This is a Saturday night dish to serve with a good bottle of Gewurtztraminer wine, some garlic noodles (or fresh lemon pasta with reggiano parmesan) and plenty of napkins! I often double or triple the recipe when guests are over and place the whole pan on a turntable so everyone can dig in!
I never made this dish for Mom since I knew she couldn't tolerate the pepper oil. But it illustrates the confidence she gave me to go out and find unusual, unfamiliar ingredients and create my own dishes!
2 lbs. frozen king crab legs
1/2 cup five pepper oil
2 bunches green onions, chopped - green parts only
1 bunch cilatro, chopped
1 large piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
25 cloves garlic, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Place oil in large roasting pan and place in hot oven for 3 minutes to warm the oil. Do not let the oil smoke.
3. Add all the chopped vegetables. Return to oven and cook for 5 minutes.
4. While vegetables are cooking, snap crab legs at joint areas. Sometimes I even run a pair of kitchen scissors down the softer areas.
5. Add crab legs and toss in the oil/vegetable mixture.
6. Bake for 30 minutes and stir the crab every 5 minutes. Vegetables should not be dark - you may need to watch the oven closely after 20 minutes.
This dish serves 2 - 3 with leftovers for lunch the next day. Or leftover crab can be removed from the shells and used in an omelette or scrambled eggs the next day.