I made this on Saturday for Greek Orthodox Easter which was yesterday, April 27th. This was a great hit with everyone and it was easy to make.
One 8" or 9" pie crust, either plain, shortbread or graham cracker, already baked
1/2 cup key lime juice*
One 14oz size sweetened, condensed milk
3-4 egg yolks (do not use whites)
Whipped cream or topping**
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Position rack in middle height of oven.
2. In a bowl, mix the lime juice, the milk and the egg yolks until combined. Use 3 egg yolks if you want a tight, firm pie. Use 4 if you don't mind a looser filling.
3. Pour filling into pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven - pie filling will not be set. Refrigerate for at least six hours until filling sets.
5. Add whippped topping and serve!
* I don't recommend buying the fresh key limes and trying to juice them yourself. You'd have an easier time getting blood out of a stone. The bottled key lime juice can be found at your grocer's in the same aisle as canned fruit juices and it works just as well!
** I prefer whipped cream but also use Cool Whip. I would not use Dream Whip (remember that stuff?) since it has too strong a vanilla flavor that might conflict with the key lime flavor.